Friday, October 8, 2010

CAMSUR CHRONICLES Part 3

September 26, 2010, Sunday
By 3 A.M., we were already at the starting line. Our bus took us from the CBD hotel at around 2:40 A.M. I was jittery because I am a first timer for a 42k full marathon.
At the starting line, I met a lot of friends. I had my pics with Attys. Audie Samar, Red Samar and Alex Martin. I also had my pics with the Davises [Chad and Natasha].
Judge Henry Laron [Makati MTC] was also there to run his first 42k.
Fireworks preceded the gunstart. While everyone was dazzled and amazed with the fireworks, I didn’t realize that the race clock had already started.
Anyway, running the first few kilometers going to the Pili Diversion Road was a breeze. I was running at a speed of 11 kilometers per hour and slowed down to 10.5k/hr after the Pili Diversion Road. I finished the 21k point in a fraction below my 2 hour target. Still feeling well and enjoying the race route, I maintained a 10k/hr pace. Then, disaster struck as I reached the 26km mark. I suffered cramps on my left calf muscle. I slowed down to a 7 km. pace, even walking for a kilometer stretch. At the 30th kilometer mark, I was able to run again with a much slower pace. However, at the 34th km. mark and with only 8 kilometers to go, both my calf muscles have tightened. It was then that I told myself to forget about having a 4:20clocking. It was survival mode from then on. 3 hammer gels, a banana at each water station and Gatorade were really of no help at this point. Adding to the pain on my legs is the intense heat from the sun above.
The last 2.5 kilometers was the most difficult for me. If it was just a five kilometer race, I could finish 2.5k in less than 10 minutes, but no, this is a full marathon. Surviving the last stretch was the only thing in my mind. In my Garmin 305, I still had about 22 minutes to finish the last 2.2 kilometers to get a sub-5 hour clocking. It wasn’t my day, really. I could barely run the last portion of the race. My upper body and my mind were still okay. My mind was willing to go but both my legs would not cooperate anymore. Whenever I ran for about 50 meters, the leg cramps would just aggravate the situation. Run and walk was the only strategy left for me. But when I saw the finish line, I forgot that I had leg cramps. I felt like I wanted to cry. I didn’t though because my friends Cheryl, Ram, Toi, Dok Kenz and Teody were waiting at the finish line. Cheryl and Ram took pictures while I was a few meters from the finish line. ◊◊◊◊◊ - A five-star race because of the following:
[a] just like any RUNRIO races, this CAMSUR marathon is a very organized race;
[b] water stations were so plenty that I lost track in my count;
[c] marshals were located at strategic points of the race route;
[d] very friendly and accommodating staff;
[e] very nice and friendly people, young and old, lined up throughout the entire race route and were cheering the runners.
[f] scenic environment unlike the polluted areas of Metro Manila.
[g] medals were given to the 42k finishers right after crossing the finish line.
[h] freebies and lootbags were easily available to the runners.

No comments:

Post a Comment