Wednesday, August 4, 2010

NEW ROUTE, NEW SETTING



We’re done with the REXONA Run. Everyone in our group [SLIMMERS ADRIATICO running group] was able to cross the finish line in one piece. Herbert Lee, Kit Atienza, June Villamor, Ric Ocampo, Ram Pernia [the latecomer] and I ran the 21K. Cheryl Hao, Toi Rivera, Beth Kimpo, Teodoro del Mundo, Arnold Daluz, Charles Or and Tin Aragones finished the 10k race. Dexter Lim, Dr. Kenz Cancio, Marc Gascon, Christopher Toloma and Redick Halili were at the 5k race.

This was my 7th 21k. My official finish time was 01:47:38. With an aching ankle, I just could not run at my usual pace. Before the race, I was advised by my friends not to run, but a Taurus like me – hard-headed and stubborn - will always find an excuse to run. I told myself that my aching ankle should not be an excuse no matter what happens. Experienced runners would probably rebuke me for my stubbornness because I am putting myself at risk with an injury.

The route was relatively a new one. What caught my attention, though, were the placement and the number of water stations. Water in small plastic bottles was abundant. Sponges were so plenty that you can even ask for 2 pieces at every water station.

Coach Rio did a very good job with this run. I would say that he was able to address the needs of the runners. Except for one runner who was being aided by an ambulance and its personnel along Macapagal Avenue [near Sentosia] at around 8:30 A.M., I did not see or hear about any untoward incidents throughout the duration of the race. Clogging at the finish line was no longer a problem, unlike previous races at the MOA, mainly because of the new D-tag. 21k runners did not cross paths with the runners of the other categories.

Loot bags were filled with so many give-aways like shampoos, laundry soap, dishwashing liquid, deodorant, bottled water, power drinks and so many other small items. Of course, the 21k medal was there, triangular in form. Not only that. Nestea was on a drink all you can basis. What else can I say? I enjoyed this rexona run – before and after the race. Who says that the registration fee is high! With the giveaways on the date of registration and after the race, I would say that I got my money’s worth. Enjoy ka na, nakatakbo ka pa, puno pa ang loot bag, may medal pa!

HOW I RATE THIS RACE:

◊◊ ◊◊◊ - A five-star race because of the following:
[a] new race route
[b] there were many water stations that I lose track in my count;
[c] there were many race marshals;
[d] very unique 21k medal;
[e] loot bags were filled with give-aways
[f] very strategic water stations;
[d] results were released a day after the race.

2 comments:

  1. You forgot Ricardo in the 21K race.

    I have to agree with you on the loot bag. Its two years' supply of shampoo for me and maybe rexona for the rest of the year :D

    Kit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kit,

    OMG, my apologies! Yeah, Ric Ocampo also ran the 21k. As a matter of fact, he was able to chop off more than 20 minutes of his time at Nature Valley. Ric now has a new PR.

    ReplyDelete