Friday, December 3, 2010

Runrio Leg 3 – RUNunited2



As far as I know, this is the first race in year 2010 [or perhaps in all running events for this decade] that a race organizer held back to back races for two consecutive days [Nov. 20 and 21]. There were 12,946 runners who participated in this 2-day event.

Why do I have to thank Coach Rio for this race held on November 21, 2010? Two important reasons come to the mind.

One, this is the first time that a 32k race was held in the Philippines. Experienced marathoners would find this race a walk in the park. But for newbies like me and the relatively inexperienced, this one was a good preparatory race for a full marathon. To survive a full marathon, elite runners and coaches say that long runs must be incorporated in the training. Again, long runs are a must! Running 32 kilometers under a race atmosphere is what I need before I ran another full marathon this December. I enjoyed my first marathon last September – well, every bit of it despite the fact that I conked out like a car with a broken engine. I must get over this haunting experience insofar as performance is concerned. I told myself, never again! That is why when I ran the 32k, I was pacing myself from the start up to the finish line. I finish my first 32k race with no cramps or any injuries. I was actually planning to finish the race in 3 hours and 20 minutes. With a very controlled pace, I was able to chop my expected time by 11 minutes. My chip time was 03:09:07.73.

Two, Coach Rio’s trademark was all over the place - before, during and after the race.

i. Finish times were accurately recorded in the computers because of the presence of the D-tags. Starting time for the 32k runners was perfect. Countdown before the gun-start gives another brief excitement to the runners.
ii. Water stations were plenty. There was no need to bring hydration belts. I still brought mine, though, well, let’s just say because “old habits die hard’. Power gels were given to 32k runners at a certain point along the route. Marshals were all over the route. Except for some marshals’ boo-boo that may have caused the leaders [Kenyans] their rightful place in the podium, everything went well with the majority of the runners.
iii. Right after reaching the finish line, 32k medals were handed by pretty gals to the 32k finishers. This was a luxury! Coach Rio knows that after a long race, finishers would not want to fall in a long line just to get their medals. No long lines at all in any of the tents where one gets the loot bag. Loot bags for the finishers were filled with goodies [i.e., cap, canned goods, medicines, enervon milk powder, bottled water, finisher’s certificate, water container, and so many more]. What else could you ask for? Kudos to Coach Rio, his team and all the sponsors!

Without doubt, everyone enjoyed this race. My rating for this race: a 5-star race because of the reasons above-mentioned. Here are some more photos:



With one of my idols and ultramarathon director,the BALDRUNNER



My friend Quintin Atienza from St. Benilde - a future threat to the Kenyans



With Atty. Audi Samar who is aiming for a sub-5 finish at the QCIM

With Atty. Alex Martin, another guy aiming for a sub-4 finish at the QCIM

4 comments:

  1. wow i grew up in Manila and never knew there was such a running culture...the heat must be pretty incredible...nice blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jerome! Future threat to the Kenyans talaga ha :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kit,

    Ikaw na ang bagong MIR, Most improved runner! Congrats. See you tomorrow at QCIM 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Paul for visiting. Yeah, running is now a premiere sport in the Philippines. See you in future races, sir.

    ReplyDelete