Friday, December 3, 2010

TWO IN A ROW - Run BGC, The Fort, Bonifacio Global City


If this wasn’t a RunRio event, I would not have joined this race. If there was no Chevrolet Cruze at stake, I would not exchange a much needed rest in preparation for my next 42K race [QCIM 2010]. But the challenge was there, the stake was there, the fun was out there – I told myself that this was just another 21k and I would be able to run this and bring home that chevy. At least, praying and believing that one would win a raffle prize doesn’t carry any price at all! The only problem I had is that everyone in my group has the same prayer and belief – to bring the first prize. We can’t divide one prize which is indivisible. Only the one who prays real hard will end up with the windfall!

From the thousands who waited up to 9 A.M., only one person found his prayers answered by the God Almighty. The winner, a tall guy, probably did not even drop that many sweat when he ran his race and when he won the chevy. He was a 5K finisher! Had God given me that sign that he will give the chevy to a 5K runner, I would have joined that short distance race! With a heavy heart, I have to congratulate the winner [lol]! Don’t forget to pay the taxes, bro, lest the BIR would be coming right after you.

Back to the race

This was two in a row for me - 32K a week ago and another 21k in Run BGC. This is what my friend Atty. Audi Samar referred to as “tinuhog” or “binarbeque”. That doesn’t end there, though. Next week will be the QCIM [Dec. 5] and the week after that would be RUN ING 20K [Dec. 11] and MILO 21K [Dec. 12]. Wrapping these weekly races would be the CORREGIDOR 21K trail run [Dec. 19].

With a very controlled pace, I was able to finish the 21K race with a time of 1 hour and 49 minutes [01:49:35.76], good enough for 39th place.

The route was nothing new. Some runners I talked to said that they can ran this same route even with their eyes closed! That’s how bored some runners may have felt because the same route is being used in races held in the FORT. Well, at least, in RUN BGC, a new route was introduced – a short stretch after you turn right at 34th Street. After that short stretch, runners had to run the same old route.

This is not to take anything away from the race organizers. They did a very good job no doubt! These are some of the plus-factors: [a] Plenty of water stations; [b] good traffic management; [c] use of D-tags for accurate time; [d] nice medals handed to 21k runners right after crossing the finish line; [e] loot bags filled with so many goodies; [f] no long lines in getting the loot bags; and [g] expensive raffle prize that went to a 5K runner .

No comments:

Post a Comment